From Marilyn Ingram who has a mother-in-law and is a mother-in-law.
The first place to go for relationship tips is the Bible.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
Five things your mother-in-law wants you to know. Compiled from Marilyn’s interviews with real, actual mother-in-laws.
Let’s accept each other and things as they are
– acceptance to the core
– things to accept:
– where everyone lives, near or far
– our families are different, no right or wrong, no comparison or competition
Let’s assume the best of each other
– limit unsolicited advice
– keep things in perspective
Let’s talk and learn to communicate
– find the best way to stay in touch
– boundaries – asking permission, husband and wife need to be united front
– be positive – say things you appreciate about each other
– ask for help
– magic phrase “You might be right.” – affirms the other person without agreeing
Let’s get to know each other woman-to-woman
– understanding where each other is coming from helps understand reactions
– learn her favorites
– pursue relationships with your husband’s siblings
Let’s make prayer part of our relationship
– praying for your marriage
– praying for understanding and self-control
What is lacking in a relationship is not what defines it.