The always-inspiring Mickey Holtzman was back with her “Messy and Memorable” tips for playing with your kids. She emphasized the importance of engaging as many senses as possible with activities. Sensory experiences are tied to memory.
Like who can forget starting with a hand dance?
Then there was the bubbling bottle project – just oil, water, food coloring and alka seltzer. What fearless volunteers we had!
Or poking a water bottle with an ice pick (I’m pretty sure this is the first time we’ve ever had an ice pick at MOPS) to make a water fountain.
Other activity suggestions from Mickey:
- flashlight walks
- dish towel chicken
- decorate rocks
- Gak – cornstarch, water, food coloring (in bathtub for easy cleanup)
- hammer golf tees into styrofoam with a wooden spoon
- play in shaving cream or cool whip
- bubble solution – 1 part Dawn, 3 parts water
- spaceship – decorate big box, wrap everything in foil including the kids for a space suit
- silly string
She had a table up front with lots of other fun stuff.
And words to remember
And keep your sense of humor! Check back for more posts with tips from Mickey on having fun with your kiddos.